Uploading your dissertation
Extensive manual for uploading your dissertation to the Leiden Repository.
- We prefer pdf files. If your files are Word documents (or other formats), please contact us at email@example.com
- If you have not yet sent Forms V (online) and VI (in twofold, by mail), please do so as soon as possible. We can only process your thesis when we have received both copies of Form VI and your files. More information on the forms.
- There is ample opportunity for corrections. Until the moment you grant us permission for use, you can still change all the submitted data. If you have already granted permission in step 14, but still want to apply changes, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to the homepage of Leiden Repository.
- Choose "Login" under "My account" in the menu on the right-hand side.
- Go to the collection Dissertations, in the menu on the right through Communities & Collections > Leiden University > Publication types > Dissertations.
- If you have registered before, please log in with the appropriate e-mail and password. If you are a new user, please log in using your ULCN username and password. If you do not have an ULCN-account, please contact email@example.com. You will then receive an log-in account for DSpace in your e-mail.
- Select “Submit a new item to this collection”.
You can stop your submission at any moment by selecting "Save&Exit". You can then continue the submission procedure the next time you log on to "My Repository".
- You are now entering the first description screen. At the top of the screen there is a progress bar that shows your progress. In this first description screen check the options that apply to your thesis. For dissertations the option “The item has been published or publicly distributed before” usually applies. If your dissertation has more than one title, also check the option "The item has more than one title".
- You are now entering the second description screen. At least fill in the following fields:
- Authors: Fill in your name here
- Faculty: Choose your faculty
- Title: The title of your dissertation
- Date of Issue: The date of the defence of your dissertation
- Publication type: Choose “Dissertation”
- Language: Choose the language of your dissertation
- You are now entering the third description screen. In this screen you can enter keywords (in English) and an abstract (<200 words, in English) of your dissertation. What you enter here, you will not have to fill in on Form V.
- You are now entering the upload screen. We prefer that you upload you dissertation in one file; it will then be divided in parts if necessary by our library staff. Upload your files in reverse order, i.e., in the order:
- chapters in reverse order
In the second field you can give a description of each file (for example: chapter 1, propositions, full text).
Choose “Add Another File” if you would like to add another file or choose "Next" when you have finished uploading.
- You are now entering the verification screen. Here you will have another opportunity to change the data you have submitted so far if necessary.
- You are now entering the licence screen. To make your dissertation publicly accessible in the Repository your permission is necessary. You can give your permission by choosing the option “I Grant the Licence”. For determining the degree of accessibility of your thesis Form VI (the licence) will be used. If you do not give permission (by choosing “I Do Not Grant the Licence”) your files will be stored in your "My Repository", but will not be visible for the repository managers.
Please note: it is not possible to set embargoes on the files yourself; this will be done by the Repository administration.
- You are now entering the final screen, which informs you that your contribution will be processed. The submission process is now finished. Thank you for your contribution. You will be notified once your dissertation is added to the collection Dissertations Online.